Ray Borg and Keoni Diggs were both cut from the Bellator roster after they missed weight in big ways ahead of Bellator 295.
The highly anticipated fight between Ray Borg and Kyoji Horiguchi was announced as off before weigh-ins even began Bellator announced on Friday morning. Then, later in the afternoon it was announced that Keoni Diggs vs. Weber Almeida was also canceled due to Diggs being overweight.
“I think Ray and Keoni both had catchweights to begin with and we started with one contract price, and then they negotiated a catchweight because they couldn’t make weight,” Bellator president Scott Coker told MMA Junkie after Friday’s ceremonial weigh-ins. “And then for them to miss weight completely … When it’s time to fight, this is a professional fight league. This is not an amateur tournament. I think it’s time to say goodbye to both of them, and we’re going to move on and let them fight somewhere else, and good luck.”
Ray Borg dropped by management team after anpother weight miss
This is not the first time Borg has struggled with his weight. He fought at least five times after missing weight and numerous other fights were canceled due to his weight management issues.
“In the past, I get it,” Coker said. “But his management and my team assured me that he was going to be able to make weight and make the catchweight, which was 130 for sure. No problem. You go by the work because usually we don’t have a problem like this in a fight that big. But unfortunately, that’s what happened (Friday)."
Many criticized Bellator for booking the fight at 125 pounds after Borg's last four fights at a higher weight went without issue. He was set to make his debut in the promotion over a huge opponent.
Shortly after the miss was announced his managements team, Dominance MMA released a statement revealing that he would no longer be represented by them/
Keoni Diggs failed to make weight for Weber Almeida
Keoni Diggs was also cut from the roster after he was reportedly over seven pounds, according to sources in Hawaii.
Bellator 295: Raufeon Stots vs. Patchy Mix full weigh-in results
- Bantamweight World Grand Prix Final: IC-Raufeon Stots (134.2) vs. No. 2 Patchy Mix (135)
- No. 3 -Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (126) vs. No. 2-Kana Watanabe (125.6)
- Yancy Medeiros (162.4) vs. Charlie Leary (164.2)
- No. 3 -Aaron Pico (145.6) vs. James Gonzalez (145.8)
- No. 6-Mads Burnell (144.4) vs. No. 7-Justin Gonzales (145.6)
- Kai Kamaka III (145.4) vs. Adli Edwards (145.6)
- Bobby King (155.4) vs. Aalon Cruz (156)
- Davion Franklin (259.2) vs. Kasim Aras (251.8)
- No. 8-Ilara Joanne (125.4) vs. Bruna Ellen (125.6)
- Alexey Shurkevich (170.8) vs. Masayuki Kikuiri (169)